Thursday 17 May 2012

COMMUNIQUE MANIFESTO OF ISAAC KOFI BATINI, AN ASPIRANT FOR THE OFFICE OF THE FINANCIAL SECRETARY OF THE SRC OF GIJ FOR THE 2012/2013 ACADEMIC YEAR, PRESENTED ON WEDNESDAY, THE 16TH OF MAY, 2012.

All Aspirants appeared before a public vetting on Wednesday and your election platform brings you the full statements as read by the aspirants.


Honourable Chairman of the Electoral Commission, his excellence the SRC president and other Executive Committee Members present, my elegant looking contender, fellow aspirants, ladies and gentlemen, Good afternoon.

My name is Isaac Kofi Batini, a third year Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies student of GIJ. I began my educational journey at Aflao E.P. Tokor Primary & JSS for my BECE in 2003 and proceeded to Three-Town Secondary School, where I offered General Arts with Economics, Elective Mathematics, Government and Geography as my electives.

After getting my WASSCE in 2006, I joined the National Youth Employment Program where I was posted to Aflao-Agblekpui L.A. Primary & JSS as a Community Teaching Assistant. I taught English, Mathematics, Agricultural Science and French for three years before applying to GIJ in 2009.

Mr. Chair, I stand before you this lovely afternoon to narrate my AGENDA for the office of the Financial Secretary of the GIJ-SRC. But before I do that, one may ask, what function does the Financial Secretary perform?

Mr. Chair, fellow colleagues, the office of the Financial Secretary of the SRC was established under Article 7, Clause 7 of the GIJ-SRC Constitution. By the provisions of this article, the Financial Secretary is supposed to keep and maintain accurate records of all financial transactions of the SRC; present financial statements to GA for approval before the execution of any plan or action needing finance; prepare and present periodic statements on the income and expenditure of the SRC at least twice every semester; together with President and General Secretary, be signatory to the SRC financial accounts; shall be treasurer to the SRC Week celebrations, and perform any other functions not inconsistent with the provisions of the constitution.
Mr. Chair, what I intend to do when elected the Financial Secretary of the SRC can be classified under three thematic areas:
1. PROMOTE TRANSPARENCY IN SRC TRANSACTIONS
2. PROMOTE ACCOUNTABILITY IN SRC,
3. AND BRING INNOVATION ON BOARD IN LOOKING FOR SPONSORSHIP FOR SRC PROJECTS AND PROGRAMMES.
Mr. Chair, in promoting transparency, I intend to involve all stakeholders at every stage of the budget cycle; that is the preparation, implementation, auditing and monitoring and evaluation stages. I will follow best practices in the drafting and implementation of the budget. The class reps, the notice boards and the internet will be fully utilized in the dissemination of information about the income and expenditure of the SRC.

On accountability, Mr. Chair, I intend to persuade the President to put in place an effective and working Audit Committee within the shortest possible time of assuming office. The Audit Committee which was established under Article 23 of the SRC Constitution to audit the accounts of the SRC including all halls and clubs. I would make sure the Committee is given all the necessary support and freedom to work without fear or favor. This will ensure that SRC executives and appointees, including the executives of the halls and clubs are held accountable to students on how they spend students’ money.

On innovation, Mr. Chairman, I believe the time has come for GIJ-SRC to boast of its own sets of canopies, plastic chairs and public address systems. I intend to work with my co-executives in instituting an ‘Alumni’s Day’ where both the alumni and current students of the institute raise funds to sponsor the purchase of these items. More than 90% of the weekend and top-up class are alumni of this institute. They constitute a good source of funding for the SRC and I intend to fully explore this area. Steps shall be taken to fully include the alumni in all activities of the SRC.

   Mr. Chair, Article 9(b and c) of the SRC constitution states that “a student shall not be qualified to any executive office unless he or she has considerable exposure and experience in GIJ-SRC affairs and has served on GA or on any SRC committee for at least 6 months. Mr. Chair, fellow colleagues, the past three or so years of my stay in GIJ has not been spent as a PASSIVE ONLOOKER. I have, since the first day I step my foot in GIJ been ACTIVELY involved in all spheres of SRC and student activism.

I was an Organizing Secretary of CCF-GIJ Chapter; Degree Coordinator of Osagyefo Hall; Vice President of the French Communicators Club; Past Member, vetting committee of GJA-GIJ chapter; Programs Manager of SIFE-GIJ; immediate past Chief Statistician of the Black Toms & Associates, an on-campus election think-tank; Member of the External Affairs Commission; Honorable Member of General Assembly; Member of the Audit Committee of the SRC, to mention but a few. Hon. Chair, fellow colleagues, having served students in these diverse portfolios, I am of the highest conviction that I am highly qualified to step into the shoes of the Financial Secretary of the SRC, and I believe you all share in my conviction.

Mr. Chairman, fellow colleagues, this contest is never about who is a female and who is a male. It is never about being in diploma or degree. It is a contest of ideas, of experience, exposure and competence. And I believe I fully satisfy all these criteria. I therefore call on you never to sacrifice competence, experience and exposure for anything.

Come Saturday and Monday, please TAKE THE RIGHT STEP AND GET ISAAC BATINI ENDORSED AS THE FINANCIAL SECREATRY OF THE SRC.
Thank you and God bless us all.

1 comment: